Monday, April 19, 2010

Apple Crisp

I needed to use up some apples so I decided to make apple crisp.  Well actually, there were quite a few apples that needed using up so I made three apple crisps.  We had one for dinner and froze two.


This is the recipe I have used for as long as I can remember - adapted from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook.

Ingredients:
5 cups apples, peeled and sliced (about 5 apples)
3/4 cup oatmeal flakes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup margarine or butter

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 350
2. Butter a 1 1/2- quart baking dish
3. Spread the apples in it (sprinkle with up to 1/3 cup of water if they are old apples)
4. Combine the oatmeal, flour, sugar, cinnamon in a bowl and blend in the butter/margarine until it resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Spread topping evenly over apples
6. Bake for about 30 minutes until the crust is browned and the apples are soft.
7. Serve with milk, cream, or ice cream.


Enjoy some appley goodness!







Linked to Inspired by Sunshine at The Inspired Room

10 comments:

  1. oooh, that looks yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. It looks easy and my family would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love apple crisp. Yours looks better than mine! Rxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make apple crisp during the Fall when we can go to the apple farm and get yummy apples! Yours looks delish and I love the pretty bowl you served it in too!!!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum yum yum I love apple crisp! But I have to say I really love that dish your serving it in. what's the pattern? It looks very old. I'm crazy about china.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace, this looks delicious! Just delicious...I'm going to print this recipe off -- I might have to bake this tonight :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm! Looks delicious. Apple crisp is one of my favourite desserts. Any season too. I will give this version a try.
    I remember an old Cottage Life magazine article. I wish I had kept it. It was about the differences between cobblers, crisps etc. and how to easily make them at the cottage. I'm going right now to see if they have it archived on Cottage Life. Enjoy your crisp! If I look at the photo again, I'll think I can smell it from here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Grace! Thanks for coming for a visit - always good to find another canadian! I took a look at your blogging tips page and i do have a question - i've been trying to figure out since i started this blogging adventure "how the heck do you know if someone has commented?" i've been running through all my blogs to check several times a day but that is not going to continue to be easy when i no longer just have 7 posts! I know this may sound funny - go ahead and laugh - i laugh at me all the time! Anyway, i saw that you suggest the comment notification - yup that would work too lol But how do you set it up - I myself am teaching myself so if you have any pointers please let me know. If you could help me out with this notification thing it would be greatly appreciated! I will continue to follow your blog - I love all the pictures of your home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a delicious crisp! Seems like I can smell it from here :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy!!! I wish I had some apples I need to use up.

    ReplyDelete