Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Stocking are Hung by the Chimney with Care

The stockings are hung by the chimney with care - which means I've finally finished sewing the new one for Christie, our eldest son's fiance who is joining us for Christmas this year.   

 
One year, about a decade ago, I decided we all should have matching stockings so after Christmas I sat down and drew out some designs for stockings.  That ended year one's effort.

The second year I found my design when I was unpacking the Christmas decorations and got all excited about the project again.  I went out and bought all the material I would need to make the stockings.  And so ended year two's effort.

The third year we were going to celebrate Christmas in England so I decided this would be a fun time to have new stockings.  I made them all in secret and took them over as a surprise for everyone.  We hung them on our bedposts like they do in England.

Making stockings may possibly have been the world's longest craft project, but we all enjoy them very much now - especially when they are filled with goodies.  

At the same time I made Christie's stocking I did a little re-gluing on ours and finally sewed some ribbon onto the stockings to hang them with (until now we have used blue ribbon pinned to the stockings - the shame, the shame).

Here are our stockings:

Christie's stocking - my husband suggested I do something to do with music for her stocking as she is very musical and plays the piano and sings. 


Malcom's stocking - there is no particular reason that I put the tree on his apart from his love of nature.


Kate's stocking - the angel's dress is made out of a lace hanky that had been used at Kate's baptism - it was folded and tacked into a bonnet by my friend which Kate wore at her baptism and then I wanted to use it for something special so I put it on her stocking.


William's stocking - William liked the holly the best of the ones I drew so that was the stocking he got.


My stocking - nobody else claimed the snowman which made me very happy as it was my favouite.  Isn't his little carrot nose button adorable.


Hubby's stocking - his only requirement was that I include part of the stocking his grandmother had made for him.  Fortumately she had knit two stockings so I didn't feel bad cutting one up.  I cut the cuff off and sewed it along the top of his new stocking.  I made a picture of our house out of felt to go on his stocking. 


Have you got your stockings out ready for St. Nick to leave some goodies?  All I can say is I hope you've been good, because I don't want to hear about any lumps of coal.

I'm sending warm wishes your way for a wonderful Christmas to you and your family.  

4 comments:

  1. Love your stockings and the inspiration behind each one of them. Have a WONDERFUL Christmas with your family Grace! It has been lovely being involved with all your preparations. Best wishes ;)Sharyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, your stockings are so special. Christie is one lucky chick marrying into your family! Thanks for the explanations that went along with each picture. You are so amazing!

    Santa is on his way to your house! Then he is headed to mine :D

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    XOXO
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. adorable!
    wishing you and yours a very happy Christmas.
    here's to wonderful adventures in 2011 too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas, Grace! Even though they took awhile, I think they were worth the wait :)

    ReplyDelete