Friday, February 8, 2013

8 Thoughts on Aging Gracefully

Yesterday was my birthday and a winter storm started up in the night so today we had a snow day (hooray!).  I totally claim the snow day as a birthday present.  Snow days call for baking yummy food which you can read about here.  They also call for taking photos with the new camera my husband bought me for my birthday.





Rumour has it I'm one year older now (although I don't feel it and certainly don't act it).  There are many seniors in my life that I admire very much (my parents included) and want to emulate.  I've recently been pondering ways to get life in balance.  Not that it's terribly out of balance, but sometimes there are things I should be doing, but I'm not doing them and instead I'm spending time on the computer.  Anyone else struggle with this?  So along with getting some balance in life I've also been considering what I need to do to ... well, age gracefully.   Here's what I came up with (some of which I'm doing, some not so much).

1. Do something creative.  For me my creative outlet is blogging and taking photographs.  

2.  Learn something new. I've been learning so much at the art class I attend. Before Christmas it was all about Paul Klee and now we have moved on to Kandinsky - totally inspiring.  Travel falls in this category too and I adore traveling to new places.  I'll be heading off to New York City next month - can't wait.

Kandinsky
3. Laugh often.  That is something I love to do.  I find laughing makes me feel so good and a smile on my face makes me look and feel younger and more cheerful.

4. Help Others.  Helping others helps us too.  I'm lucky that my job involves helping others so there is that built in satisfaction of making a difference, but there is always room for more.

5. Eat healthily.  I try, but there is always room for improvement.  I've been obsessed with Cara cara oranges recently.  Have you tried them yet?  They are the best oranges I have had in years.
6.  Exercise daily.  I wish this came easily, but it is hard to fit in with work and winter and my nature ;)

7.  Love with your whole heart. Enough said.

8.  Everything in moderation, but treat yourself now and then.  I'm good with the treating part, but need to work on the moderation part at times.

Do you think that covers it?  

Finally, I've always loved this poem that has been attributed to Audrey Hepburn because it was her favourite and she quoted it often.  It was actually written by Sam Levenson.  Nevertheless I think of Audrey when I read it.


Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoyed your birthday & what you call your snowday. I like your thoughts for aging gracefully, even if you only manage a few, you are well on the way to getting there. I need some cookies so think I'll see what I have in my cupboard to make your orange cookies. Enjoy your weekend in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Wish we had some of the beautiful snow down here.
    Sorry I haven't been commenting lately. I read all of your posts but life has just been so busy that sometimes it is all I can do just to catch up quickly on posts from blogs I enjoy.
    Have a great birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday and thank you for inspiring me to be better...especially with the helping others part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, and yay for a snow day AND a new camera!!! I just read something about aging gracefully today, must be something I should pay attention to! Great post!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday!
    You have such a beautiful
    spirit and I love your list.
    I discussed this very topic
    with my good pals recently.
    I think we all want to age
    gracefully as well as embrace
    this "second act!" Here's to
    a wonderful year ahead for
    you of loving and living : )

    xo Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Belated birthday~ I'm glad you received enjoyment from the snow, so many did not.
    I like your list of things to bring balance, some are always more difficult than others.
    Have a good week, my friend!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete