Friday, September 27, 2013

Today is Bouquet Day





Hello friends!  One of the things I look forward to every Friday - well apart from it being the start of the weekend and watching TV while we have pizza for dinner - is making a new bouquet for the table. 

I like the process of selecting which flowers/weeds will go with which tablecloth.  The Japanese Lanterns (also called Chinese Lanterns) are at their peak right now so I wanted to use them.  When I went out to the garden to cut some I realized that EVERY single leaf has been nibbled on and is imperfect.  I cut them anyway and somehow it doesn't really show when they are bunched together (isn't that a lovely metaphor for us as individuals and how we look better together than when we stand alone). 

This is the first year I have ever cut the Japanese Lantern flowers and displayed them in a vase.  We usually pick the fruits/flowers (they really are both as inside each of the flowers is an orange fruit) and put them in a bowl.  I'm guessing we will do that later as well.

The tablecloth is a crazy one I bought at the thrift store last year.  It has batiked wavy lines and fish.  Fish?  Crazy I know, but I like it.  I thought the neutral gray would let the orange and green of the Japanese Lantern flowers shine.

Do you have big plans for the weekend? I'm going to Toronto Island with a friend.  I haven't been to the islands for years - decades actually - and am looking forward to enjoying the lovely fall weather and the scenery.

3 comments:

  1. They look lovely, and the colour is gorgeous.
    Friday night is pizza night here too, but I am expected to make them from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad's backyard is FULL of these- weve never picked them tho! Are you able to eat the berries?

    PS- I always called them Chinese Jack O'Lanterns. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved the Japanese lanterns. They are so colorful, and yours look lovely on your table.

    ReplyDelete