Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Goodbye Winter!


Phew, we've made it!  It seemed like a long haul getting through this winter and we haven't exactly got spring temps outside yet, but at least the worst of the minus-double-digits are over (I hope).  This winter, here in Toronto, was the tenth coldest in the past 100 years and we broke records for having more than 100 consecutive days with snow on the ground.  The advantage of having a prolonged snow cover is that it always looks pretty when you look out the window, as opposed to frozen dirt which we often have (how's that for looking on the bright side of things).

There is still lots of snow around, but I have faith that within the next few weeks it will be gone and the gardens will start to grow.



Last week was the March Break so I had the week off work.  One of the things I did was to go to the cottage for a few days with my mother.  There was tons of snow up there so we had lots of winter fun - a right and proper goodbye to winter.  

We went snow-shoeing



and out onto the frozen lake 



and we walked along the cottage road in softly falling snow. 



It was a very relaxing time at the cottage and I even got a book read.  Yay me!  Have you read anything by Andrea Barrett?  Dear husband-and-chief-book-buyer, gave me four of her books for my birthday.  Ship Fever is a book of short stories all with a historical science connection.  I thought they were terrific, being a science person myself.



I'm keeping a keen eye out for any signs of spring.  Here's my list so far:
-  the pussy willows in our backyard are beginning to bloom
- the springtails or snow fleas (tiny tiny bugs that are all over the depressions in the snow at springtime) were out on our last day at the cottage
- the days are getting longer and the sun actually feels warm now
- I've been planning our summer vacation which has entailed dreaming about Ireland (not likely due to lack of funds) and now Newfoundland.  I love planning our vacations.
- I couldn't resist making some art using the springiest colours I could find in art class last week.



Okay, winter - take the hint.  I've officially said goodbye to you, so you can disappear for another year.  In the meantime I will just have to content myself with the indoor flowers that dear husband-and-chief-gardener, has a way with.



I'm wishing you all a happy first day of spring tomorrow!

 

7 comments:

  1. How wonderful to spend a week with your mom! It looks as if a good time was had by all! I am jealous, I have yet to snowshoe this year.

    Have a great day and Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sunshine on the snow does look very beautiful, and your trip to the cottage sounds idyllic. Our winter was very wet, so I too am looking forward to Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO HAPPY that it's spring! Your mom looks well. I know y'all had a nice time at the cottage during break. I really like your abstract. Is it encaustic? I've always wanted to take an encaustic class but Trip would have a come apart if I brought more art supplies in this house!

    Happy Spring!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cottage trip with your mom looks like it was taken in December! So much snow. Love your artwork. The colours are like sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful trip in the snow! Great photos! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grace, how nice that you could spend that time with your mom. Greetings from Northern Ontario. I see you have just about as much snow as we do and we don't seem to see the end of winter, at least not today, it was blowing a gale with flurries. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. I have been having trouble with GFC and if I am already following you, and you following me, please forgive me. If not, please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful series of photos! Greetings from Montreal.

    ReplyDelete