Monday, April 14, 2014

Pumpkin Bread Pudding

A few moths ago I posted this tried-and true recipe when I was guest posting, but I wanted to make sure I don't lose track of it and the safest way to do that is to post it on my blog.  Do you use the search button on your blog to find some of the great recipes you have made in the past?  I love that about blogging.  

So if any of you missed this recipe for Pumpkin Bread Pudding, here it is.   It is a great combination of healthy because of all the pumpkin in it and practical because it uses up all your leftover crusts.  Or is that just me who has leftover crusts?

**********************************




I love this bread pudding recipe.  I have tweaked and perfected it by reducing the sugar, eliminating the butter, and using skim milk instead of cream to make it healthier than the original.  I have made it with raisins or dried cranberries and they both are great.  I use any kind of bread/bun/crust that is in my freezer and needing to be eaten.  You should see how nice and neat my freezer looks now.  Just kidding - it's still a mess.  But I'm not kidding about how great this bread pudding is!

INGREDIENTS
8 cups bread, cubed
1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
3 cups milk (I used skim milk)
5 eggs
1/2 can (796 ml or 28 fl oz) pumpkin puree
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

METHOD

1.  In a large bowl, cover the bread and cranberries/raisins with the milk and set aside.
2.  In another bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin, sugar, vanilla, and spices.
3.  Add to the bread mixture and stir to blend
4.  Put bread mixture into a greased 9 x 13 or large casserole dish 
5.  Bake uncovered at 350F for 45-60 minutes or until the centre has set (test with a knife)

5 comments:

  1. This recipe could not possibly be more perfect for me!! Love pumpkin and bread pudding! Thanks and Happy Monday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of saving bread bits in the freezer for recipes like this...none of my kids will eat the loaf ends and they usually end up in the green waste. Looks delicious, pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like comfort food to me....I think it might be fun to top it off with coconut bliss ice cream !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sending a link to Shanley Belle. She loves all things pumpkin and healthier versions of recipes, too. You've already done the hard work for her!

    Pinned it!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Would love to try this with apple and rhubarb

    char@marshallhousematters.com

    ReplyDelete